Home > First Aid, Wound Care > Clinical Wound Care > Dressing and Pads >
Smith and Nephew acticoat dressing absorbent of size: 4 X 5 inches - 5 ea
Acticoat dressing is used as an antimicrobial barrier layer for partial.
You Save: $17.67 (13.3%)
Availability: In Stock
Usually Ships in 1-2 Business Days
MANUFACTURER: SMITH & NEPHEW. INDICATIONS: Acticoat* (with SILCRYST Nanocrystals) Absorbent Antimicrobial Barrier Dressing is an effective barrier to bacterial penetration. The barrier functions of the dressing may help reduce infection in moderately to heavily exuding partial and full-thickness wounds including decubitus ulcers, venous stasis ulcers, surgical wounds, first- and second-degree burns, grafts and donor sites. PRECAUTIONS:
- Ensure that the packing in cavities, sinuses etc. has been removed.
- The dressing may adhere if used on very lightly exuding wounds. If the dressing is not easily removed, moisten it with sterile water, then remove.
- Do not use on patients with a known allergy to alginates.
Benefits: Antimicrobial barrier Acticoat Absorbent Dressings deliver a fast-acting, long-lasting antimicrobial barrier which may assist in preventing contamination of the wound.
- Easy to remove
- Conforms to wound contours
- Fast gelling, high mannuronic acid fibers
- Low fiber shed
- High wet and dry strength
- Soft and conformable
- The nanocrystalline coating of pure silver delivers antimicrobial barrier activity within 30 minutes - faster than other forms of silver.
- NUCRYST Pharmaceutical's antimicrobial technology is able to produce silver-coated hydrophilic polyurethane foams that can release an effective concentration of silver over several days. Thus, as silver ions are consumed, additional silver is released from the dressing to provide an effective antimicrobial barrier. This patented silver-based antimicrobial technology can be applied to a wide range of medical devices including wound dressings, certain types of catheters and various implants to prevent infection. This technology was first applied to burn wound dressings because burns present a very severe risk of infection.
Laboratory studies show that Acticoat Absorbent Dressings kill micro-organisms faster than conventional products such as silver sulfadiazine (1 percent cream) or silver nitrate (0. 5%) solution. It has also been shown in-vitro to provide protection against more than 150 pathogens. The pathogens tested in the lab include very resistant strains of bacteria such as antibiotic-resistant strains of Pseudomonas, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus and fungi. These pathogens have been known to sweep through a hospital and infect a great many patients with already weakened immune systems. Infections contracted during hospitalization caused by these so-called superbugs and other organisms cost North American taxpayers an estimated $18 billion a year in additional hospital care.
Easy to remove
When used in a moderate to highly exuding wound, the dressing forms a soft gel, which does not adhere to the delicate tissues in the wound bed. The dressing can be easily lifted out of the wound in one piece, or washed out with sterile water.
Conforms to wound contours
Acticoat Absorbent Dressings are very soft and conformable, allowing them to be molded, folded or cut to meet a wide range of wound shapes and sizes. As the fibers gel, an even more intimate contact with the wound is produced and maintained.
Less fiber shed
All fiber-based alginates release fibers when handled, however the advanced bonding technique employed in Acticoat* Absorbent Dressings greatly reduces fiber release.
Moist wound environment
The production of a gel by the action of exudate on the alginate fibers creates a moist wound environ
Shipping Weight : 0.30 lb